Monday, November 16, 2009

Inside a Cyber Studio: Skip Zalneraitis

Due to the popular response I've decided to issue two columns a week instead of one. I will post one at the beginning (monday/tuesday) of the week and then one at the end (friday). Otherwise, it would just take to long to get through all of them.
Keep in mind the questions might change from time to time (especially as technology changes), and I'm looking to provide other formats as well (audio/video).

I hope you all find this to be a fun/exciting journey as we get to learn a bit more about each other and why we love technology & education.

Skip Zalneraitis
Blog: http://skipz.edublogs.org/



  1. Where do you live? Brattleboro Vermont
  2. How long have you been working w/ technology/education? 25 years
  3. What OS/platform do you use for your work? All
  4. What is your favorite Web 2.0/21st Century tool and why? hardware - SMARTboard - It brings out the explorer in my students; software - iLife - so versatile with a zero learning curve
  5. What is the biggest misconception about technology? That technology makes the curriculum. In education, folks are looking for the silver bullet, and there is none.
  6. What are the biggest hurdles you face as a technology educator? Money is the biggest block to ubiquitous technology.
  7. What has been your biggest success in technology integration? In the private sector: convincing the mgt of the company I worked for almost 20 years to switch to PC-based computing; In school: to convince the administration that we should free, open filter workshop and game fests for our students after school. It really helps them to blossom.
  8. What has been your biggest setback in technology integration? Entering public education before I refreshed myself with a Master's to bring me up to speed to meet the kids' needs.
  9. Who/what has been your biggest inspiration in technology/education? There are so many people. In my previous life - my boss, Michael Trombley. He was a former sailor and welder and he took to technology and supported me in bring PC-based computing to our company. In my present work, I had to say Larry Ferlazzo and Miguel Guhlin: two inspiring educators, wonderful writer, two og the hardest working people I know!
  10. Where do you see technology heading in the future? We have intelligensia and furturist working on Web 6.0 already. I think the trend, due to diminishing $$$ and natural resources, will be to virtual reality.
Fun
  1. What is your favorite book? Currently: 'Infected' and ''Contagious' by Scott Sigler
  2. What is your favorite movie? 'Neverwhere' written by Neil Gaiman
Next on Cyber Studio: Kimberly Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment and reading my blog!!